Today is May 22, exactly six months from Ironman Arizona 11/22. I officially start my IMAZ plan. Well, actually tomorrow. Today is an off day. It’s a good thing, because here is what the next six months have in store for me:
100 miles of swimming
3,000 miles of biking
1,000 miles of running
1) My first non-stop 112 mile bike ride on the tri bike
2) An 8,000 meter swim session
3) A 300 mile bike week
4) Race a 95 minute 13.1 mile half marathon
5) Do a 112 mile ride followed by a 1 hour run
2) Finish injury-free
3) Finish injury-free while honoring my role in my partnership
4) Finish injury-free while honoring my role in my partnership and not becoming an asshole
5) Time is not a goal.
Six months from today I will be yet another person, someone I can’t quite visualize. The person who has done everything in those goals. The person who will swim 2.5 miles, bike 112 miles, and then run a marathon. In one day. Non-stop. I cannot control what happens on race day so I have goals and milestones for incremental success along the way. Six months from today I want to wake up feeling like I’ve already accomplished more than I expected.
The race should be the icing on the training cake.